[lit-ideas] Re: Venomous Writing

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:49:14 -0500

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the existence or writings of Camille
Desmoulins.  Was he just a gossip columnist or a serious journalist?  Was he
respected for his factual accuracy or would he have been at home on Fox
News?   "Accurate scholarship can unearth the whole offense from Luther
until now."  If what he wrote was accurate, then where's the question?
Truth whether expressed vituperatively, mockingly, or cleverly is not
abusive.  Truth is never abusive. Lies, innuendo, misrepresentation -- they
are abusive.  A wicked tongue speaking truth speaks the truth none the less.

Mike Geary
Memphis
speaking to a subject I know not of -- but so what?  I always do.