[lit-ideas] Re: Valentine's Day Meditations

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:52:37 -0500

For what it's worth, I'll comment that teenage sex looks good from the outside.
 On the inside it's fraught with anxiety.  Often it's a search for love and a
settling for sex.  Maybe the newest generations of kids will change that with
their "hooking up" and allegedly normalizing of oral sex as not really sex.
(Does Maureen Dowd address this in her book?)  I suspect that some variation of
"loose" is still applied to girls, and fuck you has not morphed into a positive
expression.  When Princess Di and Prince Charles got married, they were the
classic lucky couple, picture of happiness.  Their marriage turned into a
nightmare.  Likewise, all those balloons and teddy bears make a nice cover for
the untold story underneath.

Apologies to Lawrence.  He's a nice guy, loves his country.  I love my country
too.  We love it in different ways.  That's because it's a democracy and we can
do that.