[lit-ideas] Unfinished Business

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:03:33 -0400 (EDT)

I said "flip side of which," but unfinished business is a bad thing.  The best
it can offer is something like stage mothering.  In all cases it's a dismissal
of the child, since the child is subordinated to the needs/wants/hatreds of the
parent.  All these Baby Einstein tapes aren't for the kid.  They're for the
competitive parent who wants the best kid to be proud of, a variation on the
granite countertop. The irony is that Einstein never listened to Baby Einstein
tapes.