[lit-ideas] Re: Gun control

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:39:34 -0500

LH:
>>You aren't interested in controlling the Chos of the U.S. are you?

I'm very, very much in favor of having a society that is decent enough to care
for its mentally ill -- ours isn't -- but this discussion is about controlling
the possession of firearms for the benefit of the commonweal.

>>There are already laws on the books against the illegal use of guns

I'm aware of that.  I want laws against the very ownership of guns.

>>There are laws against felons possessing guns.  Does that stop felons from
>>possessing them?  Of course not

Exactly.  As long as anyone can have a gun -- guns will be available to all.

Lurker:
"Lower class - no effect - no way to pay anyway
"middle class - would ruin their life financially - forget about defending
yourself, can't afford it

"wealthy elite - who cares, they can afford private security

"super wealthy - can get away with anything as the fines are insignificant.

I fail to find the wisdom in what your lurker friend wrote.  Lower class -- no
pay? then no stay a free man.  Middle class -- goodbye lifestyle or goodbye
guns, their decision.  Wealthy elite -- their security forces won't have guns
either, we'll all be in this together.  Super wealthy -- what's the deal?  Ship
the shits off to jail the second time around.

"Why do leftists always want to use capitalistic methods to establish control
over others?"

Your friend would rather we use weapons of mass destruction?  Money is the only
thing that matters in this country, that's why.  Money is even more important
than our brain-fevered gun fetish.

Basta!  Zut!  Enough!  I just needed to remind Lawrence and others that not
everyone worships at the altar of the great god Gun.  Go and have you fun, but
don't come crying to me when someone you love is killed by a crook or a friend
or a psychopath.  And don't wring your hands over children killing children in
emulation of this gun-loving culture.  What you sow...

Mike Geary
gunless 63 years now and have never felt the need to own one.

  From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Thu, Apr-19-2007 9:35 AM
  How many times, Lawrence,  has your house been broken into and you shot the
intruder?  How many times have you saved your life or those of your loved ones
by brandishing your guns?  We can get rid of the damn things.  Every single one
of them.  Make owning one so expensive no one can afford them.  Melt then down
and build enormous statures to Gandhi and Martin Luther King.  We don't let
people have bazookas or howitzers or rocket propelled granades -- some do, I
know -- why then do we allow any weapon that's made to kill?  Hunters?  No one
needs to hunt for their food anymore.  It's insanity.  It's a sickness.  I'll
bet you'd get rid of your guns if there was a $50,000 penalty for each weapon
you're found with.  2nd offense, $50,000 plus 5 years in prison.  The cost to
society is too damn high to allow people this fetish.

  Mike Geary
  if you think you need a gun, you need a psychiatrist.