[lit-ideas] Re: Tuesday Joke

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:41:57 -0800

John McCreery wrote

Actually irrelevant, isn't it, since all atoms that haven't been ionized
have equal numbers of protons and electrons.

Yes. I was led to believe many years ago that the hydrogen atom was the simplest atom and that it consisted of one proton and one electron. So 'one of my electrons' wouldn't make sense for the hydrogen atom character, who should just say, 'my electron.' Does that make her positive? In the idiomatic sense, of course; but in the physicist's sense--? I haven't a clue. Whatever happened to David Savory?

Robert Paul