[lit-ideas] Re: Trolleyology

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:17:48 -0700

 Donal:

Btw, I thought Robert Paul posted a link to show there are trams in the US.
Just as I posted about bank customers to show...ah, it lacks interest.

How would the existence of trolleys in Austria "thus" make "the 'trolley' paradox not a
deterrent in [insert name of tram-era Viennese here]'s Vienna"? What kind of "deterrent"? How
can a paradox be a deterrent in the first place?

I have no thoughts on the last paragraph, except that Donal seems to ask the right nonsense-revealing questions. One quibble: I think Frege might have seen 'Russell's Paradox' as a deterrent to his going on with his project.

Robert Paul

Oh—and what I posted was meant to show that there were trams, or at least had been trams, in Austria, something which JL had denied.