[lit-ideas] Re: Trolleyology

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:04:56 +0100 (BST)

--- On Thu, 14/10/10, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ----- Exactly. The problem, as R. Paul suggests, is also
> operative in
> Austria, where they DO have trolleys -- thus making the
> 'trolley' paradox not a
> deterrent in Popper's Vienna (_pace_ McEvoy).

In what way is it a paradox? Like the way I shall mull over what to have for
breakfast? Dear me. It's surely less of a paradox than knowing that the source
of the following quotation - "As I thought that [Jewish people} were persecuted
on account of their faith my aversion to hearing remarks against them grew
almost into a feeling of abhorrence. I did not in the least suspect that there
could be such a thing as a systematic antisemitism" - is that famous Austrian,
Adolf, in _Mein Kampf_.

Btw, I thought Robert Paul posted a link to show there are trams in the US.
Just as I posted about bank customers to show...ah, it lacks interest.

How would the existence of trolleys in Austria "thus" make "the 'trolley'
paradox not a deterrent in [insert name of tram-era Viennese here]'s Vienna"?
What kind of "deterrent"? How can a paradox be a deterrent in the first place?

Answers on a postcard to:-

Donal
London