[lit-ideas] Re: Trilling on T. S. Eliot, III, (the Christian State)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 01:30:00 -0700

Lawrence wrote

Someone challenged me a bit about Kaczynski. I read Kaczynski's Manifesto & commented on it to some extent at the time. I was amazed that anyone could hold those thoughts in this present age. Later, in 2005, I read /Harvard and the Unabomber, the education of an American Terrorist. /Kaczynski was building himself a better revolution and working at Berkeley while he did it. He left the Berkeley milieu with the Leftist-Environmental mindset that is probably still significant at that University (as well as at Harvard where he was education).

Robert Paul asks, who said the following?

Those who are most sensitive about "politically incorrect" terminology are not the average black ghetto-dweller, Asian immigrant, abused woman or disabled person, but a minority of activists, many of whom do not even belong to any "oppressed" group but come from privileged strata of society. Political correctness has its stronghold among university professors, who have secure employment with comfortable salaries, and the majority of whom are heterosexual, white males from middle-class families.

Many leftists have an intense identification with the problems of groups that have an image of being weak (women), defeated (American Indians), repellent (homosexuals), or otherwise inferior. The leftists themselves feel that these groups are inferior. They would never admit it to themselves that they have such feelings, but it is precisely because they do see these groups as inferior that they identify with their problems. (We do not suggest that women, Indians, etc., ARE inferior; we are only making a point about leftist psychology).