[lit-ideas] Re: Transcendental and otherwise

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 21:58:32 -0600

RP:
Rorty's rejection of human knowledge as representational, that is, it does not by itself support the Rortian view that we cannot see the world straight and that insofar as this is impossible, the idea of truths about the world is vacuous. (I'm sure these aren't Rorty's words.) If we cannot see the world as it is what we say about it cannot be grounded in our judgments of it.

My reading of Rorty (admittedly prejudiced) is not that he rejects human knowledge as representational, but that we human beings can't find any way to warrant any knowledge as truly representational -- a condition that in effect nulls and voids representationalism for human beings, yes. Breaks my heart. Rorty says, I say, that we certainly can know things for 'certain' as long as we know that certainty is always limited to cultural certainty, since there's no way to ever step outside the human condition and see the world as God sees it. Consequently, we find ourselves in a world that is a mishmash of ethnocentric certanties and unless we're prepared to kill quite a lot people then we'd better learn how to "just get along" with each other's truths. To me Rorty is definitely not saying that our judgments about the world are not grounded in our experiences of it, rather that all we have is the world and our experiences of it. Those experiences are ethnocentrically "loaded" (if you will), but not determined. What those experiences never are is indisputable truth.

Mike Geary
indisputably truly
in Memphis