[lit-ideas] Re: Transcendental and otherwise

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:12:54 -0330

Our readers may be interested to know that later editions of this text (post
'92) include a 29th chapter entitled "Transcendentalizing Ordinary Language" by
Walter C. Okshevsky. Dick could barely understand the basic argument but Alan
Bloom (Rorty's mentor since their student days in Chicago) convinced him it
should be included for purposes of fairness and comprehensiveness. It was a
jejeune pre-war ditty of course, but I let him include it after Dick's
insistent and repeated generous offers of suitable compensation.

And, for the record, Gustav stole the phrase from me after I used it to
describe the work of my teacher John Wisdom (or was it John Oulton Wisdom?) We
were having lunch at some pub in Munich with I. Berlin, close to Mariensplatz,
think it was, November 1974 therabouts. I told them something of my criticisms
of Logical Positivism, saying basically that there was nothing either logical
or positive about the spurious doctrine. Izzie loved it and took copious notes
which he used in subsequent publications and application for tenure at Oxford.
Gustav asked, in his thick Russian accent, "Are you positive about your
criticisms?" And I replied: "Hey, that's quite a linguistic turn on the
expression." Before I could say "Alfred Jules Ayer," all of Vienna, Oxford and
Thunder Bay was aglow with this newly minted phrase. (True genius is rarely
recognized in its own time, alas.)

Overjoyed at mastering yet another webct distance education online format, and
celebrating accordingly .... (But it's not a philosophy course, on principle.
Nobody can do philosophy online ... as we here can all attest.)

Walter O.
Cambridge, ON