[lit-ideas] Tortured to 'Cooperate': Flouts to Grice's Maxims

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:53:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/2009 11:20:41 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
They know all about these  things and we're mere
dunces when it comes to extracting 'information.

---

Bravo.

I'm not sure 'extracting' is the right thing to  do with 'information'.
Exstill, perhaps, cfr. 'instil'.

I wonder if  there are written records (in the Loeb Classical Library) of
conversation under  torture.

I know there are in the James Bond films, where 007 is  fancifully tortured.

For the objection of torture posed by Urmson to  Grice's model vide Grice
WOW, v (originally the PR 'Utterer's meaning and  intentions' article --
"Objections to the Sufficiency of the Analysis --  Urmson").

Cheers,

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!