[lit-ideas] Re: Top politician toppled by plagiarism

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:53:21 -0500

<Somewhere Prof. Joseph Agassi suggested that the requirement of "originality" is rarely demonstrated in any very significant way by a doctoral thesis, at least in philosophy and the humanities. Where nearly everything has been said before...>

If this is the case, then why make people go through the Ph.D. program, at least in these fields? Perhaps to give professors more power over people than they ought to have?

At the school I went to, one of the top ten in the US, there was a professor who assigned a term paper to undergrads in a history class. She taught everyone how to do it, how not to plagiarize and said she would check all sources. She did. She failed 5 of 23 in the class. She was fired. I do not mention her name or the institution, as I can't prove cause and effect, but I heard from a secretary that was the case. I personally believe it. By the way, she was one of the top five profs. I ever had.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>