[lit-ideas] Too Much Information?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:33:22 -0400

Robert: As for the music prof's boasts being unethical, there's no direct link between 'this disgusts me,' and 'this is unethical.' Avert your eyes.

No direct link? Really? A student sees the fetish announcement (and request for contact with others so inclined) on the Prof's Web site. A student also sees the MySpace friends photos -- mostly a bunch of tubby guys wearing nothing but underwear briefs. Then it's off to music class ... where averting one's eyes is judged as poor student participation.

Isn't it part of the ethics of the academic profession not to throw one's personal quirks and baloney between one's teaching and one's students? What bugs me is the tacky lack of boundaries here. Maybe it's just technological naïveté.

Imagine a MySpace page for Camille Saint-Saëns linking from L'Ecole Niedermeyer:

Gay but in the closet. Enjoy dancing in ballerina attire. Love to travel to Algiers to have sex with teenage boys. Friends: Pyotr Ilich Tchaikovsky. [Picture of Tchaikovsky in underwear briefs]