[lit-ideas] Re: Salta and So On

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:39:58 -0700

On Jul 17, 2009, at 6:16 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

In fact, when I was lecturing on Grice in the province of Salta,
[snip]
        "The pun [by Grice] may also  contain"

-- and this relates to D. Ritchie and my love for Hymns, for this is one of them!

I'm in a hurry here, but I did learn several things: there's a province in Argentina called Salta, which borders Formosa. This is confusing. Salta is descended from an intendency, and had its very own battle, which was followed by attacks from the viceroyalty. You can find all this on Wikipedia.

J.L.S. has published an article with a pun in the title. The hymn he refers to, though usually sung as a Christmas carol, was actually aimed at Advent,

http://www.chantcd.com/lyrics/veni_veni_emmanuel.htm

so it's a kind of premature exaltation  :)

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon