[lit-ideas] Tony B for EU president!

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:01:50 +0100

I started to write to a friend this morning about something I was hearing on the radio. Ambiguity arose - the resolution of which brought the idea 'why not write to the man himself?'. Which man? Read the appended message to find out.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 28 October, 2009 9:58:35 AM GMT+01:00
To: tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tony B for EU president!

Mr. Benn,

I have just heard - with much dismay - that Tony Blair is being considered for the office of president of the European Union (once that position is created on full ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon). I was about to write to a British friend expressing my commiseration, and, not wishing to mention THAT name more often than necessary, intended to shorten it to 'Tony B'.

This brought immediately a moment's pause ... 'Wait a minute - isn't there another British politician to whom that abbreviated moniker could refer? Tony BENN, isn't it? My friend may misunderstand, and think I am proclaiming GOOD news.'

What a thought: Tony BENN for EU president!

We are unfortunately here in Germany suffering the throes of the establishment of a 'schwarz-gelb' [black-yellow] government (a coalition of the CDU/CSU and FDP). And my native country - Canada - struggles under governance by the 'new' Conservative Party (about which I will not go on here). So I trust you can understand the lifting of spirits brought about by the 'Tony Benn as EU president' thought.

I almost wrote 'fantasy' for 'thought' there. Is there any hope? (For the moment I will hold on to it as anodyne to harsher 'realities'.)

Sincerely,
Chris Bruce,
in Kiel, Germany