[lit-ideas] Re: Tip Tackle Flood Cleared

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:31:08 -0800

Just so you know, in "the rugby," Flood has been cleared to play after the
allegation of a tip tackle was dismissed.  I have no idea what a tip tackle is.
 Also, in "the golf," this morning the greens of Kapalua were slowed to 8 and
one half on the Stimpmeter--compared to 10 and one half on Friday--to help keep
the balls from blowing off the green.  Later, Dustin Johnson won.

A minor issue for inquiring minds hereabouts of an a.m. has been the
Stimpmeter.  The term in new to me.  Each morning when my eighty eight year old
father comes down for his grapefruit, his banana and cereal, his four pieces of
toast, we open the paper to find out what is happening at the Tournament of
Champions.  This would be a golf tournament.  I use the conditional form
because for three days in a row the competition, which was scheduled to start a
few miles north of where we were staying in Hawaii was, on the very morn of our
departure, postponed due to high winds.  Thus the breakfast conversation in
Oregon repeatedly has been about people not playing golf.  I don't know about
you, but I'm short of responses to that particular prompt.

The Stimpmeter couldn't be simpler.  You roll a ball on grass and measure how
far it goes.

As I indicated, the news this morning was that "the greens were slowed to 8 and
one half on the Stimpmeter--compared to 10 and one half on Friday--to help keep
the balls from blowing off the green."  My thought was, "grass must be growing
very quickly."  To slow a ball on a putting green you must have longer grass.
My second thought was that Stimpmeter measurements could be used elsewhere.
"Andre Agassi's five o'clock shadow is about fifteen and three quarters on the
Stimpmeter this evening."

Tomorrow morning at breakfast I can tell him about "the rugby" and "the tip
tackle."  If that doesn't work, we can discuss everyone who used to play for
Charlton.  A surprising number of players in the known soccer world used to
play for Charlton.  Or so I'm told.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland,