[lit-ideas] Re: Thoughts?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 02:45:48 -0400

>>Military power was supposed to be our ace in the hole; but while, yes, we
can destroy the planet, as Iraq and Afghanistan continue to demonstrate, our
ability to "project power" is limited.

"Our ace in the hole"?

Iraq and Afghanistan demonstrate only what the US can do on the cheap. Of course our ability to project power is limited, since there are so many hellholes we should want nothing to do with in any sane estimate. Point is, much of the world is not worth any involvement. Stop China from occupying Tibet? Stop Russia from savaging its neighbors? Who but the rabid globalists would foist anything like that upon the US?

Sure we can destroy the world. We can also destroy any other country. But do we want to? Of course not. It's a straw man, this assumption of global hegemonist. The rest is envy and resentment.

Who benefits from envy and resentment? The comforted.

"America is the world's living myth. There's no sense of wrong when you kill an American or blame America for some local disaster. This is our function, to be character types, to embody recurring themes that people can use to comfort themselves, justify themselves and so on. We're here to accommodate. Whatever people need, we provide. A myth is a useful thing.” - Don DeLillo