[lit-ideas] Re: Thoughts?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:53:52 -0230

I thank Chris for his glowing literary criticism. Alas, most university
administrators are deaf to the well-turned phrase when it comes to augmenting
perks and benefits. Indeed, the notion of writing as a craft has been decimated
today by many forces. Chief of which is surely technology. Education experts
are
calling for a return to "invented spelling" - but this time at the university
level. (Students in grade school don't need to wait for such pedigreed
permission: they've been writing in cyber-abbrevio for years already, lol.
CUL8R

Lovers no longer correspond by letter and pen. Thoughts and expressions written
out by one's own hand and enveloped in fine paper, addressed to one and only
one person, all this is but a tale now told by the elderly to their
grandchildren. ("No, it's not quite like getting a letter from the IRS,
Johnny.")

Politicians have capitulated long ago to speaking the lingua franca of VOL -
voter oriented language. I'd vote for Obama simply for his ear for rhetorical
elegance and good grammar. And, of course, interlocutors on listservs pay no
heed any longer to the manner and form of their expression, acting as if the
mere content of their thoughts - profound and incisve that it is -  suffices to
carry the day. (I wonder, are they like that in bed as well??)

From these lazy hazy days of autumn,

Walter O.

Quoting cblists@xxxxxxxx: