[lit-ideas] Re: The universal applicability of moral judgments

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:07:12 -0330

'Tis indeed the best of all possible worlds. Eric D., having returned
refreshed and  rejuvinated from extended languid sojourns in Indian culninary
salons of Washington DC, offers us yet another lovely banquet of reflections on
Kantian moral theory. Donal and Omar are both in peak form arguing over the
nature and and import of practical contradictions committed by
non-universalizable maxims. And, last but far from least, it's 17 degrees today
in St. John's Newfoundland!! God love global warming. (Who cares about the
universalizable interest equally in the interest of all denizens of the planet
earth? Global warming ... bring it on! :) ..... But seriously folks ...

There is so much in Eric's post below that I think it would be best to address
it piece-meal. Otherwise we'll be overwhelmed by the variety and complexity of
the topics he raises. Let's start with the question of what ethics is about.

I demur from Eric's view that ethics is "*about* what human beings actually do
to/with one another." But I am happier with his other formulations: moral
maxims
refer to, prescribe, what "could be done" [should one be a rationally
autonomous
agent] and matters regarding how one ought to be treated are co-extensive with
how one "*really* ought to be treated."

And I think we can agree that moral justification must be applicable to real
interactions so long as we recognize that "real interactions" bears no
epistemic
import in the case of moral judgement. That is to say, what people actually do
is of no necessary relevance to what they ought to do. Also, "applicability to
real interactiuons" should not blind us from recognizing that part of the
contemporary discipline of ethics is of a transcendental nature concerned with
identifying universal and necessary features of moral judgement and the
assessment of the objectivity and impartiality of moral deliberation. The
concern here is with philosophical truth, not with convincing people that they
ought to abide by the results of transcenddental inquiry.

Once all are in agreeement, we can move on to the topic of moral rules as
addressed by Eric below. I do not wish to rush the discussion, of course.

Walter O.
MUN