[lit-ideas] Re: The second horn, or Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:24:07 -0700

it's time once again for the persimmons to appear
the time of year when i can't help but think
i cannot help but think i am
i cannot help but think i am missing
i cannot help but think i'm missing something
i can't help but miss when i'm thinking and so i talk to the parking meter machines
i can't help but try to be something
i can't help but talk with jesus
i can't help but try
i can't help but accentuate the positive
in the autumn my years i walk by dirty waters
so i must lie down
and pretty much not count

i only wish i could have had a hit
something big or small that would mark where i have lived
scratches might do
i think i might pick a tree or bench and initial it with my knife
or starve myself and see if that still grabs india's attention
or maybe bottle someone's face
murder sinners
invade grenada for no reason
set fire to myself on campus
any thing
so that when a certain tune comes on the radio
people will say
that was exactly when he became well
known

David Ritchie,