[lit-ideas] The Waterboarder

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:52:47 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/2009 2:20:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
the title of this thread is somewhat misleading.  I believe that no-one
here would disagree that: "Waterboarding Bodies Mattered."

----

Exactly. Not only misleading, but Yost is taking the piss  out of Butler,
"Bodies that Matter", that I used.

"Memoirs of a  Waterboarder" sounds more appropriate. Hoffman should play
the lead (Seymour):  he likes hateful characters.

Oddly, Urmson once discussed 'torture' with Grice.

Early in his career, Grice said, "The meaning of an indicative sentence is
the expression of the corresponding belief behind it".

Urmson objected. "I hope you are not saying that if you waterboard someone
to have him say 'p!' you'll admit he has _meant_ that p."

Grice found the objection very reasonable. It is the Very First Objection
He deals with in a thesis that has been called, 'the one second to
utilitarianism in having been refuted so many times'.

In Grice's re-analysis, it becomes that the expression of 'p' has to be
_reasoned_ by the utterer, a case that eliminates waterboardees.

Cheers,

JL Speranza

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!