[lit-ideas] The Reluctant Water Boarder

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:59:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/2009 1:17:18 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
A: "People who don't  care for the well being
of babies will never understand those who  do."
B: "Yeah, but we won't  care."

----

Exactly. Or recall Malcolm Bradbury's 'youthful piece'  as he wrote to me
in my copy when I met him in the Buenos Aires Book  Fair.

"Eating people is wrong"

That was the line from "The  reluctant cannibal", by Flanders and Swann. I
have discussed it elsewhere in  terms of Blackburn's attitudinalism.

"Boiling Babies Barbaric" works  similarly.

The 'reluctant water boarder' may be under strict orders --  'due
obedience' they call it in Argentina: Goebbels worked under it, lots of
Mussolinians, too.

"Baby" is ambiguous. A foetus can be a baby. Many  pregnant women have
boiled their babies to death by taking an immersion foamy  bath when they
shouldn't.

'baby' can apply to 'baby cockroach', which  _should_ be boiled.

"baby" is derogatory for 'cute chick'. If she is not  a minor, a witch, and
we live in Saalem, 1720, she was possibly  boiled.

And where does Elizabeth Anscombe says this? I hope there is a  context.

I never use 'baby'. It's infantile talk, like 'babbino', as in  "Mio
babbino caro".

We can assume a species of animals which survive  'boiling'. Why assume
that 'boil' means 'boil to death'? In which case, 'boiling  babies of
_strenosauri delicati_' would be more like 'cleaning' them or  'entertain' them.

Philosophy: The Exercise of Intelligence Applied to  Real-World Cases
Misused by Politicians.

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!