[lit-ideas] Re: The United Gun Guys of America

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 07:43:27 -0700

Donal & Mike,

We are still reacting against King George over here. However, we can see his point of view. If you are in charge of a country and there are a bunch of your citizens who might very well get rowdy, it would be a good idea to keep them unarmed if you can. Although one can't really generalize about "what Americans think" one can break America down into elements, something Walter Russell Mead did in his /Special Providence: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415935369?keywords=walter%20russell%20mead&qid=1444051543&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

/Using Mead, the Jacksonians are the "gun nuts." Or rather, a gun nut is most likely to be a Jacksonian. The country really needs them and their attitude. Mead lists their attributes. They want to be left alone which expands into their politically wanting America to be left alone. They don't want to be interfered with or interfere with others. They don't want the US to be involved in foreign wars, but if (and here the Wilsonians are required) wiser heads convince them that war is required to secure American interests, they are the first to rush down to the recruiting offices to sign up. You really need them if you are president and you want to start a war. And oh yes, their independence is secured at home by their right to bear arms. No president who thinks he might need them to fight a war is going to take their guns away.

Mead wrote that the Jacksonians were most likely to join the NRA. The Jeffersonians on the other hand were most likely to join the Civil Liberties Union. The Wilsonians are the ones who think they can solve the problems of the world. They have been prominent in our foreign policy since the days of Wilson. The Jacksonians are at heart isolationists -- not the Wilsonians. The Jeffersonians want everything to be settled in court. The Jacksonians and Wilsonians think otherwise. This leaves only the Hamiltonians who are the money people -- get all the other countries on the same page economically, trading with each other, in each others pockets economically, and all the rest will take care of itself. The world is moving in their direction. The big stuff is working out their way. These four elements cover the governments big important stuff.

Less important from the government's point of view but attention-getters for citizens are such things as guns and the way they are used. Tell Americans that you want to take away their guns and the Jacksonians are going to come out (politically) in force. Let the media sensationalize a crime like the killings in Oregon and the Jeffersonians are going to rush out demanding more laws. It isn't that simple of course -- or rather Mead didn't make it that simple. He was concerned about foreign policy, but his four categories are illuminating. Maybe red-necks are pure Jacksonians but most people will be combinations.

My brother retired from California to Utah. He said anyone up there can get a carry permit that wants one. He's under the impression that there isn't as much violent crime up there. If the criminal thinks there is a good chance that the prospective victim is carrying a gun, he is more likely to back off than he would be in a state with more restrictive gun laws. Are there more murders proportionately in Utah? Yeah probably, but a Jacksonian would gladly accept the chance of being murdered rather than give up the right to defend himself.

You said,
*It also seems that the US debate becomes strangely heated and not evidence-based: for example Lawrence's use of guns as a possible means for fending off rape is highly charged and raises more questions than it answers (including how an armed rapist might be more deadly and difficult to fend off than an unarmed one; how many rapes could feasibly be fended off by a gun; and the scope of self-defence).
*
*
**
*
I meant to show that one sensationalized event in Oregon could be countered by a sensationalized rape event. Before the Jeffersonians could get us to the polls to vote money for a bureaucracy to take away all guns the Jacksonians could sensationalize other events, such as rapes of little girls, that would pluck the chords of the Jacksonian voters hearts. Who can doubt that there are many more rapes occurring than mass murders, and yet they are not sensationalized to the extent that a school shooting is. And don't forget what the Oregon shooter said, that the more people you killed, the more notoriety you received, something he wanted; so the media sensation-gauge was being watched, at least by him. Maybe it isn't being watched as much by potential rape victims. But ask a rape victim if she wished she'd had a gun in her purse. I've read that many rape victims begin carrying guns, law or no law after they've been raped. Apparently the risk of their being apprehended by police for carrying an unauthorized firearm is slight -- police have no probable cause for checking their purses. They would have to use it in their own defense for anyone to notice -- that is unless it was used but the victim didn't actually kill the rapist. In those cases the rapist isn't going to turn her in even if he was wounded, and she isn't going to report that she deterred a potential rapist with an unauthorized fire arm.

As to patterning ourselves after Europeans, it is probably too late for that. We were the great democratic experiment. For a long time the monarchs of Europe predicted we would fail. We influenced the French but they botched it. It wasn't until the Second World War and its aftermath that American Democracy really caught on -- at least that's the way many of us see it. Are Europeans more civilized than Americans? In the days of T. S. Eliot and Henry James it was thought so. You had to go to Europe to engage in civilized writing. But then Europe discovered fascism and all that changed. Europeans, if they could afford it, moved back here. And then there was the Cold War during which the U.S. protected Europe against threats from the USSR. So it isn't going to occur to Jacksonians that they should follow European examples. Jeffersonians are another matter. President Obama is a Jeffersonian. He would like the U.S. to emulate Europe which is much more bureaucratic, much more controlling, much more cradle to grave welfaristic; something appalling to a Jacksonian.

Interestingly, Mead and others have pointed out, blacks in America are largely opposed to gun control because during the slave era they were not allowed to own guns. To order their guns taken away is a bit frightening for some. Maybe Geary could add to that. Were their blacks in the pub you frequented in your drinking days?

Lawrence

On 10/5/2015 3:31 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

*>Sure, guns should be restricted to government use only. We can trust the government to do right, and prohibiting guns to law-abiding citizens will drastically reduce the population of gun holders to soldiers, cops, and crooks.>*
*
*
*Sarcasm aside, this raises the point that gun legislation has two broad effects (a) between citizen and citizen (including citizens who are crooks) (b) between citizen and state.
*
*
*
*Surely (b) is much more important than (a)? Using guns to resist tyranny by the state is (arguably) a political right (if we are democrats). Legislation, that would remove or restrict a citizen's ability to use arms in exercise of this political right, needs careful scrutiny in the interests of democracy [i.e. the avoidance of tyranny]. Otoh, while the state need not have a monopoly of force, in a democracy the state still needs a preponderance of force - for we should not have a state so weak that it could be overthrown by tyrannical citizens.
*
*
*
*There are serious dilemmas here and serious alternatives: a strong democratic ethos within the state and its institutions [underpinned by laws] may be much more important a safeguard than a citizen's right to arms, especially given the preponderance of state force.
*
*
*
*Despite this - as per Lawrence's comments - it seems (a) becomes the focus of much of the argument - premised largely on the availability of guns as a method of crime prevention [mere appeal to 'freedom' here strikes me as too weak to justify the carrying of guns in civil society].
*
*
*
*These arguments in favour of arms for citizens re (a) strike me as much weaker both in terms of evidence that liberal gun-laws have a greater overall deterent effect on crime (than more restrictive laws) and in terms of the political dangers were we to try to take guns out of the equation of relations between citizens.
*
*
*
*Few in Europe who read of these mass killings in the US think it would be an idea to promote a gun-carrying culture here or feel Europeans are less protected against their fellow citizens because of our much more restrictive laws. Quite the reverse.
*
*
*

*D*
*L
*

On Monday, 5 October 2015, 6:16, Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike,
I see on so-called social media that you and another friend of mine got embroiled in a go - nowhere Imbruglia ( damn this autocorrect!). He's a once - friend - turned gun nut. Unfortunately, there's no discussion to be had on this subject. Not with him. Years have passed yet we hold the same views we did in the 1990s. Dan hard to feel optimistic.
Ck

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini ™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone