[lit-ideas] speranza forgot to mention that Yale university did not hire grice

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:02:47 +0000

From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Donal McEvoy
Sent: 05 October 2015 08:58
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Analytic Philosophy and Literary Criticism

but this reminds me of the implicature of M. Streep, in her recent, "I'm
not a feminist; I'm a humanist">

Was wondering how long it would take Meryl to jump on the implicature bandwagon.

Dnl

On Sunday, 4 October 2015, 22:24,
"dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Or is it 'art' criticism? And how does this relate to the philosophically
recognised field of æsthetics -- from a Greek word that Cicero translated as
'sensatio'!?

Snow said that there were two cultures. It may be that he was simplifying:
there is a culture of philosophy, some may say, and a culture of lit. crit.
(esp. for Eng. Lit.) -- at Oxford and elsewhere? Do these 'studies'
collide?

In a message dated 10/4/2015 11:53:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes in
"Harold Bloom's -- not simple philosophy":

"Bloom is a critic and not a poet so he is different." "[H]ere he is [...]
with his favorites poets and poems: These that inspire in Bloom admiration
for their grandeur and beauty -- and, because Bloom is more than a little
bit of a philosopher, their sublimity."

The subject line "Harold Bloom's -- not simple philosophy" IMPLICATES, it
seems, that Bloom has one. Of course it is one thing to have a "not simple
philosophy" and yet be a philosopher. Indeed, for Helm, and I agree, Bloom
is not a little bit of a philosopher (Helm states that he is more than that
-- but this reminds me of the implicature of M. Streep, in her recent, "I'm
not a feminist; I'm a humanist" -- some would say that 'meta-linguistic'
(not logical) negation is at play here).

Bloom I don't think had much of a contact with the Yale Philosophy
Department, but then the Yale philosophy department was for a time not too
strong
on ANALYTIC PHILOSOPHY. And I will like to explore the view of Alan Danto
and others (analytic philosophers -- and others like Mary Louise Pratt) who
have found that a literary critic (or more generally, an art critic) NEEDS
to base his studies in some sort of philosophical analysis.*

But that is not UNIVERSAL, admitted!

Cheers,

Speranza