[lit-ideas] Re: The Triumph of Sancho Panzer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:44:27 -0700

On Jul 18, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

> Great literature in book form cannot be improved, can be reused for decades,
> and doesn’t contaminate with lithium or with any of the other computer-based
> metals whose effect on the water table we have yet to put to reckoning. Plus,
> and here a real-life gee-whiz account about a text I had edited, a good
> manual book, under proper circumstances, will stop a round from an AK-47.
> Sony Readers can make no such claim.

You edited the bible?  I know I read somewhere that soldiers carried pocket
bibles in hope that these would stop bullets.  Never came across anything like
this in the diaries I read in the Imperial War Museum, but then again neither
did I come across soldiers of the type that Paul Fussell described, ones
carrying the Oxford Book of English Poetry forward into battle.

If I were hoping for protection from bullets, I think I'd take a Kindle over a
paperback "Death in Venice."   Could I perhaps gird myself around with a
complete edition of Britannica?  Bought from and guaranteed by Sancho Panzer,
door-to-door sales?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon