[lit-ideas] Re: The Talk

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:47:56 -0500

David Ritchie wrote:
Yes, I was that man, the one talking to two hundred or so Rotarians, stepping behind my sponsor when we got to the pledge of allegiance--I've heard it often enough, but I'm fuzzy on the words--and joining in with the singing of "Home of the Range," which was chosen specially to honor my talk.

Emily came.

I opened with, "What an honor it is to be speaking to this august body...[pause]...in the last week of July." It was a bit of a test. After a pause in which it seemed to me you could hear people thinking, they laughed, first just a few and then with others joining in, and I knew they'd follow the rest of the talk and attend carefully. If they hadn't laughed, what would I have done?
March right out of there!!!!