[lit-ideas] The Second Fiddle

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:42:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/11/2004 4:09:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
I don't  know whether it's true, but I've often read that most of the
nonsense  stories from AIW are tall tales that Caroll used to tell to his
niece  "Alice".

----

Matter of fact Alice (Hargreaves, nee Liddell) was no (known_ relation to
'Carroll', but one of the three daughters of  the dean of Christ Church
(Oxford), where Dodgson's official post was 'tutor in logic'.

Stone is right that Carroll is best known as a children's author. There's
the famous story that Queen Victoria was so fascinated with the Alice books
that
 she asked Dodgson to 'dedicate his forthcoming book to her'. He did: It was
a  treatise on trigonometry ("To Queen Victoria -- hoping that she will be
amused").

Cheers,

JL

    "I am the Dean and this is Mrs. Liddell.
    She plays the first, and I the second fiddle."

    --- Liddell of the Liddell-Scott (Greek lexicon)  fame.