[lit-ideas] Re: The New Victorians

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:23:25 -0500

W.O.
Aren't you
illegitimately universalizing your own particular set of values and views here?

Illegitimately? Jesus, Walter, you sure know how to hurt a guy, don't you? I'd guess I probably am illegitimately universalizing my views and values, but what the hell, so did Kant. We're scoff-laws, me and Kant. So, sue us.

Such woeful cynicism seems to preclude the possibility that a career, esp. in
the Academy, may be a "vocation"

Ah, so it's my broad brush that irritates you. You think I've ranked you among the self-aggrandizing class. Well, maybe I have. I don't know. I don't know you, you're a Canadian, after all. Only God knows what you people think. But I know what I think and I don't think a career can be a vocation, the two are mutually exclusive, hence the two words. A career is about oneself, a vocation is about something else.

Careers are just exercises in ass-kissing -- what males excel most at.

(I will ignore ignore the crass sexism in your comment above.)

Sexism? You would deny men the recognition due them as the only thing they're superior at? That's sexism.

Mike Geary
Superior Male of Memphis

Mike Geary
Memphis