[lit-ideas] Re: The Mr. Nice Guy Strategy

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:49:27 -0700 (PDT)

The inspectors verified over and over that Saddam had no WMD.   After WWII even
Churchill  agreed that it's better to talk than to fight.  If you saw two kids
in a school yard getting ready to fight, wouldn't you encourage them to talk?

I saw Becoming Jane not too long ago.  It was a real study in how violence is
the unquestionednorm.  Of course this Jane was fictional, but it's hard to
argue that the depiction wasn't based in reality.  Jane was quick with physical
expression of anger; she hit two men in the movie who admirably didn't hit her
back (no doubt a 21st century Americanism, at least in movies; check out
Bollywood, the not for export stuff), and (back to Jane) there were two
instances of organized street fighting in a ring.  In Wuthering Heights, the
book, references to hitting children are tossed off as right as rain, utterly
normal.  Violence was what society was/is made of.  Unfortunately, nothing
changes until it changes.  And it changes when people get punching bags and use
them instead of each other.  Don't hold your breath waiting though.

Andy