[lit-ideas] The "Losing" of Latin America

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:42:07 -0800

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/02/12/do1202
.xml
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/02/12/do120
2.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_12022006> &DCMP=EMC-new_12022006

This is a very interesting article by Niall Ferguson.  He thinks the U.S.
should spend more time on Latin and South America than on Islamism.  But he
doesn't say quite what he wants us to do about these new "progressive"
regimes.

Ferguson has argued in a couple of his volumes that we should pattern our
"Empire," an empire we deny having, after the British empire sans the
British Empire's mistakes, which Ferguson happily tells us how to avoid.  I
have these volumes.

My opinion of Ferguson continues to wane.

Lawrence