[lit-ideas] Re: The Iceman

  • From: N Miller <nm1921@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:45:55 -0400

I'm not sure quite how you're going to link the literary
depiction and external cultural disapproval -- OK, I'm not quite
sure what the question is.  Are you asking whether
if this happened "in real life", French people would approve
(etc.)?  It seems you think you can't simply infer that from
literary depiction, yet literature is (presumably) inextricably
linked to "real world" culture (and it's literature you want to
focus on here).

I mean real people--readers. A silly question really, since it's next to impossible to come up with an answer that would satisfy all/any skeptics. Just the same, there's by now an institutionalized French critical view of Stendhal--as of Gide--and to a limited extent I'm willing to treat that view as if it were an accurate reading. I'm completely ignorant of French litcrit except for some Sainte-Beuve that I read as a youngster, so I need all the help I can get.

Norman Miller