[lit-ideas] Re: The German Way of War

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:06:57 -0800 (PST)

WWI spawned WWII so I'm wrong only in the details.

Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    ?The German state never existed as anything other than a militaristic
enterprise, which is why its skill led to repeated defeat and, ultimately, to
its own devastation in 1945.  That this final devastation originated out of
victory is only one of the many ironies of German history.?

  Change the names and date and boy does this sound like the U.S.  I skimmed
the rest of it.  The U.S. entered WWI very late.  Everyone was exhausted by
then, inevitably they would have stopped the nonsense, and the U.S. injected,
as you say, fresh troops.  To prove what exactly?  You're so funny, Lawrence.
You'll defend war no matter how counterproductive and self destructive it is.
All to live in an empire.  Did you hear Bernanke testifying before Congress
that the economy is in very bad shape?

  One more war and it's curtains.  Maybe even before, but definitely if there's
a war.  Hey, nothing lasts forever.  Except, ironically, war.   The military
industrial complex, a militaristic enterprise...  We've been lucky, we've never
had bombs dropped on our heads, entire cities turned to rubble.  An experience
not to be missed, eh, Lawrence?