[lit-ideas] The Falcon Island

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:47:04 EST

Helm:

"I had the name “Falklands” right in my first note.  Calling it  Falcons is
almost as bad as saying Borges was “born in Buenos Aires  1989.”

Indeed!

>Yes, and I'd add Jorge Luis Borges, born in Buenos Aires 1989.

I had written. I knew you would correct or in any case, I ascribe it as a
puny consideration.

Here's more on the Falcon Island:

"Peregrine falcons may have nested on Falcon Island -- giving rise to the
original English name. Did falconers, or faul-k-ners, visit the island cliffs
 collect young hawks for training. This is an engraving from a plate in The
Ornithology of Willughby Francis, 1678."

J. Helander, The Island called Faulkner's.

-- Of course I don't think FALKLAND is related, but I may be wrong. British
surnames anyone?

Cheers,

JL