[lit-ideas] Falkland, Fife -- Me ain falk

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:53:20 EST

I must go to bed!

Look at me getting reprimanded by Helm, saying that there is a clash of
civilisations between my part of the world and his! And now me historically
researching into some frigging la-di-da vicunt

From wikipedia:

"The islands are referred to in the English language as "[The] Falkland
Islands". This name dates from an expedition led by John Strong in 1690, who
named the islands after his patron, Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount Falkland.

Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount of Falkland PC (16 February 1656 – 24 May  1694;
the surname is spelt Carey in some sources) was a Scottish nobleman  and
English politician. He was the son of Henry Cary, 4th Viscount Falkland. He
married
Rebecca Lytton and had one daughter, Harriott Cary (d. October 21,  1683). A
Member of the Parliament of England, he was sworn of the Privy Council  of
England in 1692 and served as First Lord of the Admiralty from 1693 to 1694.
The
Falkland Islands are named in his honour. The Viscounts of Falkland in turn
take their title from the Scottish monarchs' residence Falkland Palace, in
Falkland, Fife, Scotland.

-- Taking of Scots aristocrats, I LOVE the Lemon song, "In me ain folk" --  I
have it in Miss Butt recording and it's one of my favourite songs to play in
the piano. BEAOOOTIFULL!

Cheers,

JL