[lit-ideas] Re: The Educational Value of Slips of the Whatever

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:40:27 -0700

Richard wrote

I pray, and I think we should all so pray that Donal is indeed "mistaken" that "any assertion, including those as to the validity of deductive inferences, is possibly or potentially mistaken." This is an extremely radical position, fit, metaphorically speaking, to put quicksand under the basis of all our mutual understanding, unless Donal is saying, in effect, "not to worry--even if a given assertion as to the validity of deductive inferences is mistaken, that would not preclude the validity of deductive inferences so asserted." I'm afraid it is significant, that is, it is "educational" that Donal is having semantic issues with the word "validity." A sound argument is not a valid argument. The avoidance of contradictions in one's arguments is one step in the direction of a sound argument, but no guarantee of its validity.

This last point seems right. In 'Roses are red, violets are blue; therefore, Alexander was Aristotle's pupil,' there are no contradictions, but the argument is invalid, for the conclusion can be false even if the 'premises' are true. It doesn't contradict the premises but neither does it follow from them.

I'm dubious about Richard's earlier point, viz., that a sound argument is not a valid argument, for, if 'sound,' and 'valid' are used as logicians usually do--that is, as technical terms--every sound argument is valid by definition, even though the converse isn't true. A valid argument is so in virtue of its form alone; a sound argument is a valid argument whose premises are all true.

'Valid,' and 'sound,' may have all sorts of other uses in ordinary speech, but these are the ones of interest to philosophers, even 'ordinary language philosophers,' if any still exist.

Robert Paul