[lit-ideas] The Duchess of Devonshire and the fear of technology

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:25:14 -0500

In one of the best books I´ve ever read, the Duchess of Devonshire considers various drawbacks of alleged technological advances. ¨Have you noticed that it is almost impossible to open those plastic bags containings things like scissors, etc. No matter how much you try, you need another scissor to open the scissor-containing bag¨.

The Duchess uses technological advances in the deforestation of parts of the bad areas of Chatsworth. ¨The other day, a student was asking me, ´Can´t you wait for the tree to die before you cut it? Children nowadays are hardly given the _right_ technological formation¨. Etc.

J L Speranza, Bordighera