[lit-ideas] NOTSOHOTMAIL

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:57:50 +0000 (GMT)

As the relevant account contained four Great American Novels, three English
ones, two completed volumes of poetry and one "Selected" compiled from them,
half a drama and more besides - how much can I sue them for?

___________________

Unfortunately, on November 3rd, 2009, Hotmail suffered an outage that has
affected your mail account. Your account is working and receiving mail normally
now, but email stored, received, or saved in your inbox prior to November 3rd
has been lost. The Hotmail team worked very hard to try to recover your mail,
but in the end we weren't able to do so. While this outage affected a fraction
of one percent of our customers, we recognize that doesn't change what happened
to you - what happened to your mail and your particular account.

We deeply regret this situation and sincerely apologize.

To help avoid losses like this, Hotmail, like other webmail services, keeps
multiple copies of customers' mail stored securely across multiple computer
servers. That way, if one server fails, there are back-up copies available on
the other servers. Hotmail is designed to recover gracefully from machine
failures - even multiple machine failures. The incident that occurred on
November 3rd was unique and extremely rare. In fact, it was the first of its
kind in the history of Hotmail. We've carefully reviewed the events that led to
the mail loss and have concluded that it was a result of a number of
independent and random hardware failures, the sequence of which was such that
this situation occurred.

We are working to further understand how to prevent similar incidents in the
future, regardless of how rare.

We are in the process of upgrading your Hotmail account to Hotmail Plus, a
premium Hotmail service with benefits such as no display advertisements. We
normally sell Hotmail Plus as a subscription, but are upgrading your account
for free - you will soon receive Hotmail Plus benefits for the life of your
account and never be charged (you can find more information on Hotmail Plus
here.) We certainly understand that this is not a replacement for your lost
mail. We just wanted to provide you with something to help convey our
appreciation for your being one of our customers.

If you have any questions that we can help you with, please post them to us at
www.windowslivehelp.com.

Sincerely,

The Hotmail Team