[lit-ideas] Re: The Catholics are coming! The Catholics are coming!

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:08:52 -0500

The alarm in certainly in order and not a minute too soon.  The people to whom
this is addressed, the warnings and fears are certainly adequate but
incomplete.  The author forgot to mention Catholic women, 70% of whom are
practicing artificial birth control if they are of child bearing age.  I like
the humor re Bing Crosby movies.  Nun plays are very popular around here and
are certainly charming.

The Catholics are indeed plotting, but not behind our backs.  When Bush
demanded the support of the Bishops, he got it.  After all, one expects to be
rewarded for playing palsies with the Pope.  In my Congressional district, the
Republican candidate held public discussions before the last election.  He was
pushing Catholic values and won handily.  Unfortunately, most of these voters
are not up to speed on Catholic values.  It is not just anti-abortion as public
policy, but also birth control.  Listening to these women in conservative
organizations, they are strongly hinting that that's next on the agenda.

Having said all this, it needs to be said that the Catholics and the
Evangelicals could only do all this with their very successful coalition.  They
recently held a meeting with the Mormons, so they can bring them along also.

The next Congressional election might be very interesting.  By that time, I
think many women in America will have heard of the latest expression of
protection religious politicians grant to women.  Yes, they deem it protecting
women.  Examples of this are to be found in the actions of Gov. Pataki of NY
state and Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Catholic and Mormon respectively.
And what was this kindness, you wonder?  Well now,
they banned the use of the morning-after pill for those women in their states
who are victims of rape and are unfortunate enough to have gotten pregnant by a
rapist.  The total number of these unfortunates in the US in any given year is
25,000.  Throughout the US, Catholic hospitals will also not dispense this drug
anywhere in the US.  In some states, it's the law that this bit of
pharmaceutical mercy is outlawed altogether.  Welcome to Iran west.  Or is it
Saudi Arabia west?  Nah, we can still drive here.

Oh, and by the way, I believe Clarence Thomas is Catholic.   At least he went
to Catholic schools.  Another interesting bit: when president Kennedy was in
office, Cardinal Spellman was continually on his case to introduce legislation
for vouchers.  No go on this.  I don't know if Kennedy wanted it, but he knew
it wouldn't get by the Congress.

And another sad bit: I am hearing from some of my friends that it's time to
become anti-Catholic again.  Guess who is going to pay the price for that?
Ordinary Catholic people of course.  Certainly not the hierarchy who are the
architects of this.  But then again, I wonder?  Who provides the money to the
politicians.?

Veronica
Milford, MI