[lit-ideas] Re: "The Austrian Engineer"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:53:07 EDT

In a message dated 4/18/2009 1:50:57 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
'I asked  Wittgenstein whether, when he wrote the _Tractatus_, he had ever
decided upon  anything as an example of a "simple object". His reply was
that at that time his  thought had been that he was a _logician_; and that it
was not his business, as  a logician, to try to decide whether this thing or
that was a simple or complex  thing, that being a purely _empirical_ matter!
It was clear that he regarded his  former opinion as absurd.'

And you suggest this implies there was no  problem or nothing problematic?
(It does not matter that W did not see a problem  at some stage or only saw
it at a later stage: 'objectively', as with the  contradiction at the heart
of Frege's work, there was surely a  problem).----

-----

I take the problem was mainly  cross-linguistic. Apparently Mrs. Malcolm
(and Mr. Malcolm) were, er,  monolingual. Ditto, Witters, in my humble opinion.

So I think that what  Witters says comes up as 'pretentious' to an anglo.

Variations on the  theme by the Malcolms:

'I asked Wittgenstein whether, when he wrote the  _Tractatus_, he had ever
decided upon anything as an example of a "simple  object".

In direct terms this must have been:

MALCOLM. Ludwig. There's something I've been  meaning
to ask you for some  time.
WITTERS. Spaeter, Malcolm. Watching western  now.

MALCOLM. But this _is_  urgent.
WITTERS (turns off television). What is it  then.

MALCOLM. When you wrote the  Tractatus.

WITTERS. I never wrote the Tractatus, the Tractatus _wrote_ me. Ich ware
sehr
SEHR junge  dann.

MRS. MALCOLM (from Kitchen). Do you want some more popcorn,  Lud?

WITTERS:  Jah!

MALCOLM. Anyway, _then_, in the trenches, had you ever  decided
upon anything  ...

WITTERS (impersonating bombs and shells in the trenches). BOOM. SHOCK!
BOOM.  That was all I had decided upon. To die, to sleep, perchance to  dream.

MALCOLM. But on calmer nights, had you ever decided upon
anything as an example of a "simple object".

"His reply was that at that  time his thought had been that he was a
_logician_;"

"In  fact, he started crying desconsolately. My wife had to intervene.
'What
have you done to  him, now?" "Nothing!"

Betweeen sobs, Wittgenstein said, "Logician -- Malcolm makes queer
questions.
Russell called me  "engineer". I was _never_ ach ein engineer. Ich bin
logicus."

"...  and that it was not his business, as a logician, to try to decide
whether this  thing or that was a simple or complex thing, that being a purely
_empirical_  matter!"

"Empirische!" Bring me that hot popcorn,  Missus!"

"I  took that as the end of the conversation. From whence I have to
'recover' the  implicature. It seems plausible today to interpret his utterance
then as a sign  of he regarding his _former_ opinion 'absurd.'"

Cheers,

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!