[lit-ideas] "The Austrian Engineer"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:37:23 EDT

Donal thinks that Witters was problematic about  'atoms', 'simple things'
(in life), 'simple objects', etc.

I go with R.  Paul's interpretation (echoing Malcolm -- Was Mrs. Malcolm
sexy?)

Anyway, recall:

1. he (Witters) was an Austrian engineer. As a  test, you can ask other
engineers, "What's a simple object for you?". I find  that circuits and such,
which they regard as _simple_ are pretty complex to me.  So I wouldn't trust,
ergo, an engineer (let alone Austrian -- vide  Hitler).

2. In a non-interpreted language, we have

A: a,b,  c,

B,  d, e, f.

I.e, there are predicates, which are classes  of individuals.
And then there's relations which are classes of ordered pair  of
individuals, etc.

This is all the engineer needs to know. You can  _interpret_ the thing and
call, "a" Pegasus, and F "flies".

So that the  'atom'

~Fa    becomes "Pegasus does not fly".

This  of course is true. But not because there is a fact to testify.
Indeed, there is  no simple object, called "Pegasus" (although R. Martin, the
philosopher, to  tease people, called his 'cat' "Pegasus").

If we think, in Apollodoro's  (dirty) imagination, Pegasus flies, then the
object is a complex one, never a  simple one.

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!