[lit-ideas] Tautology, Patent & Other

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:13:40 EDT

Patent example of a Patent Tautology

In a message dated 9/18/2004 12:41:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx writes:
I need a  pefect example of a tautology.  I know one when I see one but  for
the life of me I can't come up with one on  demand.

----

Grice gives two good (well, kind of) examples of 'patent' (he calls them)
tautology:

     War is war.
     Women are women.

-- in _Studies in the Way of Words_. He was writing in 1967, but this,
coming from 'Logic and Conversation', was reprinted in 1975 and 1989 (in
Studies
in the Way of Words).

Of course, Grice is interested in the implicatures that tautologies --
patent like that, he thought -- carried. He does not specify the implicatures
though, implicating he thought them too obvious to be explicated.

Cheers,

JL