[lit-ideas] Re: Taheri on The Party of Allah

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:45:30 -0700 (PDT)

I guess that for someone like Stan this would count as
documentation and evidence, but most of the below are
quotations from Amir Taheri himself, not from
Hizbollah sources. Anyone who reads Taheri's colums
knows that he is is hardly a reliable and objective
source to cite on this. There is a quotation from
Khomeini by whom the Hisbollah was indeed influenced
ideologically at the time of its inception, but to
present this as a summary of Hizbollah's program today
is a bit far-fetched. Finally, there are quotations
from an unindentified Arabic booklet and we have to
take Taheri's words on whether the booklet exist,
whether it is really representative of the Hesbollah's
position, and whether he translated it accurately. In
any case, we are talking about ideology and rhetoric
and Lawrence can pick among various and contradictory
statements those that suit him and those that he wants
to take at face-value. (He always seems happy to
believe the Islamists when they make radical and
warlike statements, but never when they make more
moderate and peaceful statements.) Actually, Hezbollah
has made statements distancing itself itself from
September 11. attacks in the US:

http://www.ict.org.il/articles/articledet.cfm?articleid=444

Hezbollah, like the Hamas, has condemned the murder of
Nick Berg:

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Nick_Berg

Also, as the article posted by Helen Wishart
indicates, Nasrallah criticized the attack on the
Danish Embassy in Beirut. Those more moderate
statements and stances somehow don't find their way
into Lawrence' posts. But probably a more reliable way
to go about examining whether the Hezbollah is a
terrorist organization is to track its actions rather
than rhetoric. More on this later.

O.K.

"http://www.iran-press-service.com/ips/articles-2006/july-2006/hezbollah_267

06.shtml"http://www.iran-press-service.com/ips/articles-2006/july-2006/hezbo