[lit-ideas] Swedish Prisons

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:36:57 EDT

If I posted this before, apologies....I'm going through old mail and I  don't
think I passed this one on.  I wonder if they keep track of  recidivism or
rehabilitation.  I know people in America who would go out  their way to commit
a crime to get into such a prison.

Julie Krueger

Yedioth  Ahronoth  June 12, 2006  _www.ynetnews.com_
(http://www.ynetnews.com/)

10:01 ,  06.12.06
 (http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,3083,00.html)
          Five-Star  Hotel
Israeli prison. Fails to match  Swedish standards Photo:  Yariv Katz
    click here to enlarge  text
     click here to reduce  text

Israelis  enjoying life in Swedish prison

Three Israelis  jailed in Scandinavian country turn down offer to continue
serving their  sentence in homeland, explain 'here we are treated with steaks,
sex and  private television airing World Cup games for free'
Itamar  Eichner

The Israeli prisoners in Sweden are  unwilling to hear about a possibility of
continuing to serve their  sentence in an Israeli prison. The reason: Prisons
in the Scandinavian  country resemble a five-star hotel.
Israeli prisoners jailed worldwide usually beg authorities to extradite  them
to Israel in order to continue serving their sentence in their  homeland.
Despite their pleas, they are usually turned down.
In Sweden, however, it appears that the imprisonment conditions are so  good
that three Israelis jail there are not even considering leaving.  Every
prisoner has his own cell with a television airing the World Cup  games for
free;
every six months, the prisoner gets to tour the streets of  Stockholm
accompanied by a police car; and the highlight â every prisoner  has a the
right to a
three-day conjugal right in a three-room luxury  apartment in the prison.
Israel and Sweden have signed an agreement enabling prisoners to serve  the
rest of their sentences in their homelands.
Jacob Shoshani, the Israeli consul-general to Stockholm, turned to the  three
Israelis held in the biggest Swedish prison Sodertalje, not far from  the
Swedish capital, and offered them to sign forms which will enable them  to be
transferred to an Israeli prison. He was surprised, however, when  two of them
avoided him and asked him to leave them alone and not bother  them.
Sparkling clean cell,  modern kitchen
The prisoners provided him with multiple and diverse reasons for their
decision: The prison cell is sparkling clean, and over the weekend the  prison
does
not serve food and each prisoner is allowed to order a variety  of raw
materials at a limited budget in order to fix himself a meal. One  of the
Israelis
even told the consul that every Saturday he prepares great  steaks for his
fellow prisoners.
The kitchen is modern and sophisticated, like in a restaurant. In  addition,
the prisoners are offered a variety of activities such as  football and
basketball games.
Consul Shoshani approached one of the prison's commanders and asked why  the
prisoners are given such exaggerated conditions and whether this might  not
encourage people to commit crimes.
"I left with a feeling of a hotel, rather than a prison,"  Shoshani concluded
in his report to the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image