[lit-ideas] Re: Superman

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:40:47 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2004 9:07:21 PM Central Daylight Time,  pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
He must  have been mighty super

Hi,
I really need to get back to responding to the rest of the emails on this
list to which I need to respond. <sigh>

But, this one caught my eye...

I tend to work with 'regular people'.  I plan programs for regular  people.
One of the parts of my day-job is to figure out what regular  people are going
to interested in or need or want in about 6 months to a year  (minimum-) and
then we have to figure out what to do about it.

So, I get to know lots of people.  Much much more than I used to have  to
know. (about 11 years ago when I was merely a branch manager and got to play
in
a single community)

And, so...I would suggest to you that people need heroes.  NOT a  'superman',
but someone who can find within himself the courage to keep on  walking, keep
on seeking a solution...even when it would appear that all hope is  gone, all
but the most foolish would keep looking for the light to shine through  the
dark dark forest...even if it was only a small faint glow.

Each one of us (even the stupid ones <wry look> and I know several
personally--) has that buried deep inside---and so many people run as fast as
they can
from aspects or circumstances of their lives which might cause them to  have
to go deep inside and figure out that they have it inside of  themselves--that
courage.  But, sometimes they get in those situations--or  they know someone
in a seemingly untenable situation--and they do not know  either how to go on
or if they should go on--or, maybe even, why they should go  on...

This man of whom we speak gave lots of talks on those very aspects of
Life--and people listened.  NOT a superman, but a man just like any  man--but
one
who had to go deep...but each of us has the capacity for being  'superman' or
'superwoman'...

Yes, it struck deep inside of people--for when they heard him, when they  saw
his picture, when they even thought of him--they *were* him.

(It's like when a child plays pretend--he/she is not really in a complete
fantasy. The child is 'trying on' different personas--different aspects of the
personality that exist.  So, in a sense, every child who ever ever tried to
pretend that he/she was 'superman'--has that superman/superwoman inside.)

Each of the people who wrote you about him/his life/his death had in some
fashion or another a person inside who either has walked through something that

was awful or knows someone walking through something that is awful--and has
looked for [inside themselves and then recognized a kindred spirit in
Christopher Reeves, or outside themselves for they were seeking knowledge and
wisdom
either for Others or for themselves]--and actually, in MY opinion, you  know
some pretty deep and insightful people and I am honored that I know someone
who knows that many of that sort of person.

<g>

Finally back at home after a long long day,
Marlena in Missouri