[lit-ideas] Superman

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:10:29 -0400

Saw Superman finally.  Kind of a weird movie, more realistically violent than
it needed to be.  "The world doesn't need a savior" and then it goes on to show
that clearly it does.  Maybe, the world doesn't need a savior, it needs
Superman.  A savior for the 21st century, more impressive than burning bushes
and water walking.  When gods mate with humans, the effects are pretty benign.
The love triangle is the same as in King Kong.  Superman had a distinctly, in
my opinion, international face, not the all American, square jawed ultra
gorgeous Christopher Reeve.  And Lois smoking.  If that's not a nod to the high
smoking rates overseas when smoking is on the wane here.  I wondered if she
smoked when she was pregnant.  Superman kind of floated around like an angle.
The Religious Right must be in denial about it.  Or maybe they need a Superman
too.  I imagine Lawrence would like the movie.  Good vs. evil, nice and simple,
just like real life.