[lit-ideas] Sunday Nibbly Bits

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:41:53 -0700

There was a story in the newspaper this week about Alexandria Irion-Baker, an
eleven year-old girl who was being bullied when she moved to a new school.  Her
response was to sign up for boxing lessons with Molly McConnell, Portland's
women's junior welterweight champion.  Plus ca change... ca change!

At work on Friday, people adjusted their dress to the unusual heat. I kept
seeing a female student who displayed the kind of belly a boxer might be proud
of, totally on show.  On Saturday I asked one daughter, "what's with clothes
that show off yer stummich?"
"It's retro, re-visiting the nineties."
That, I'm sure, you knew.

"So," I said to said daughter (a graduate with a job!) "how's life on the
Western edge?"
She reported asking a farmer what part of Switzerland his grandparents
emigrated from.
"I don't know," was his reply.  "The coastal region?"

David Ritchie,
Portland,