[lit-ideas] Sources

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:51:04 -0400

"Where NPR got that information I don't know (which a friend told me about)."

I say this only to disclose my sources.  It was a brief phone conversation,
with only that information exchanged amid general commiseration.   The
information about the economy is my own from study and years of interest.
Onward.  Been thinking about the lack of response by the government.  It's
becoming clear to me (maybe I'm slow) that this is more than just negligence
and uncaring about the country in favor of the have-more's (Bush's term).

While it is clear that Bush cares zilch for individuals, even disdains them,
it's now clear that the non-response to Katrina is part of a deliberate,
concerted effort by Bush and the conservatives to prove that government doesn't
need to help individuals, while, the crux of the matter, it increases welfare
for corporations.  It's why he appoints someone with no experience at all to
head FEMA.  It's essentially a deliberate movement toward fascism, a merger of
government with corporations (pharma raiding Medicare, getting rid of SS,
etc.).  Theocratic fascism in this case, even if God isn't much of an adviser.
It's why government gets ever more bloated, in favor of corporations.  I don't
know who the corporate world is going to sell to if people are impoverished.
Probably overseas, where else, either that or they don't think that far in
advance.   This is interesting in light of the fact that DHS was created to
stop terrorism, when natural disasters have proven as damaging t
 o the country as terrorism.  I'm wondering too why the religious right chooses
to blame gays for the storm when it could instead reframe the picture and see
it as God's will that the country go theocratically fascist, prove people don't
need government.  Even if it costs $100 billion in after effects compared to a
fraction of that in prevention.  Kind of goes hand in hand with not liking the
country much, just liking the ultra rich.  Chertoff is actually pleased with
the response of FEMA.

The bottom line, if the big one hits California, or anywhere else, you're on
your own.  Music to the conversatives' ears.