[lit-ideas] Re: Sources

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:42:28 -0400

Pushing charity back onto the churches is another aspect of this (convincing people they don't need government). My heart hurts when I see generations of liberal progress undone so callously and deliberately. And then you have to wonder how long they've been planning this, seeing as how they had to manufacture so much stupidity to get the population to swallow it. Richard Mitchell tried to warn us about what the school people were up to...
Ursula

Andy Amago wrote:

"Where NPR got that information I don't know (which a friend told me about)."
I say this only to disclose my sources. It was a brief phone conversation, with only that information exchanged amid general commiseration. The information about the economy is my own from study and years of interest. Onward. Been thinking about the lack of response by the government. It's becoming clear to me (maybe I'm slow) that this is more than just negligence and uncaring about the country in favor of the have-more's (Bush's term). While it is clear that Bush cares zilch for individuals, even disdains them, it's now clear that the non-response to Katrina is part of a deliberate, concerted effort by Bush and the conservatives to prove that government doesn't need to help individuals, while, the crux of the matter, it increases welfare for corporations. It's why he appoints someone with no experience at all to head FEMA. It's essentially a deliberate movement toward fascism, a merger of government with corporations (pharma raiding Medicare, getting rid of SS, etc.). Theocratic fascism in this case, even if God isn't much of an adviser. It's why government gets ever more bloated, in favor of corporations. I don't know who the corporate world is going to sell to if people are impoverished. Probably overseas, where else, either that or they don't think that far in advance. This is interesting in light of the fact that DHS was created to stop terrorism, when natural disasters have proven as damaging to the country as terrorism. I'm wondering too why the religious right chooses to blame gays for the storm when it could instead reframe the picture and see it as God's will that the country go theocratically fascist, prove people don't need government. Even if it costs $100 billion in after effects compared to a fraction of that in prevention. Kind of goes hand in hand with not liking the country much, just liking the ultra rich. Chertoff is actually pleased with the response of FEMA.
The bottom line, if the big one hits California, or anywhere else, you're on your own. Music to the conversatives' ears.