[lit-ideas] Re: Soccer Fever

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:58:48 -0700

On Jun 6, 2010, at 2:24 PM, Torgeir Fjeld wrote:
In 1986 Argentina won 2-1 after two of soccer history's most famous goals, both by Diego Armando Maradona: first the "hand of god" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o), then the dribler -- to some the greatest soccer goal of all times (http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rW-lK9F6TU).

To the first, I respond, "well if that's how you want to win, on you go boy. May cheating bring you immense happiness." To the second...the moves aren't much. Just poor defending. A great goal, a great moment in any sport is when you go, "how on earth did he/she do that"?

I'm ready. Cable t.v. guy came and did his stuff today. Like the rest of the West, we now have umpteen channels of nothing. Now the only question is: which English players will miss the second and third shots in the penalty kick shootout against the Germans?

David Ritchie,
laying in a stock of beer and chips in
Portland, Oregon