[lit-ideas] Re: Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs (Is: Sexual Perversions in Myth)

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:12:41 -0500

Torgeir: Didn't Rumsfeld forget the unknown knowns, or the things that we don't know that we know, aka ideology?

My sense is that R was only talking about intelligence, counter-intelligence, and statecraft. For example, Richardson, as Clinton's ambassador, left Pakistan convinced that they had no nuclear weapons program. Two weeks after Richardson returned, and reported his conclusion to Clinton, the Pakis detonated their first nuclear weapons test.

That was (is) an example of "things we don't know we don't know."

Rumsfeld far aside, together with the political aspects, we do seem to swim in "things we don't know we don't know."

Yet does that (realization of contingency) make society the site of a struggle? Isn't the struggle always personal? Aren't we "society writ small"? And maybe something more?

Eric